I’m Kate McGuire, a journalist and graphic designer in Austin, TX.
Being in Austin for two years now has given me the time to take full advantage of everything this innovative city has to offer. From exploring Barton Creeks’ trails to digging into Bouldin Creek Cafe’s veggie burger, I love seeking out new adventures here.
Currently, I work as a digital media specialist working primarily on website design, content, and ad campaigns. While I enjoy the opportunities for growth in the start-up culture, I’m looking for a positive work environment to truly explore my creativity with.
October 2017 – present:
Presently I work for SeedLogix, a digital marketing company serving clients around the country. Using B2B marketing strategies, Seedlogix creates online marketing materials specific to each company.
May 2016 – October 2017:
More recently I worked at Gatehouse Media in Austin, TX as a graphic designer and copy editor for over 200+ newspapers around the country. You’ll find previews of my designs and illustrations under the DESIGN page.
Jan. 2016 – May 2016:
In college, I served as the editor-in-chief of the Focus Magazine and managed a team of 20 writers and 8 photographers. I designed the complete 32-page magazine and website which has won multiple awards:
- Society of Professional Journalists: Finalist – Best Magazine
- *Western Publishing Association Maggie Awards: Best Web Publication/Student
- *Texas Intercollegiate Press Association: First Place – Overall Design, Magazine
- *Texas Intercollegiate Press Association: Second Place – Overall Excellence, Magazine
- Columbia Scholastic Press Association: First Place – Best University Student Magazine Website
- Associated Collegiate Press National Conference: Eighth Place – College News and Feature Magazine
- *Associated Collegiate Press National Conference: Second Place – Design of the Year
- *Baptist Communicators Awards: Second Place – Design – Magazine, Whole Issue
- Baptist Communicators Awards: Third Place – Focus Staff, Overall Publication – Magazine *denotes individual awards
September 2014 – May 2016:
For a good part of my college experience, I worked as a communications intern at Baylor’s School of Education. As per my communications internship, I wrote articles and helped to publish multi-media materials to market the SOE, much of my work involved video producing, briefs and article writing, flyer/poster design and illustration, and manage the social media accounts of the department. Much of my work here can be found under DESIGN, PHOTOGRAPHY, and PR.
I studied abroad in London and interned at Isango! Limited as a Web Content Writer where I wrote online content including photos, briefs, and descriptions for about 10 of their 200 websites.
In the spring 2015 semester, I was a writer for the Focus Magazine and fall 2014 I was the assistant editor for the Focus Magazine. My freshman year (2012-2013) I worked as a reporter for the Baylor Lariat Newspaper writing on alumni and student government news then shifting to feature pieces which can be found in the NEWSPAPER and MAGAZINE tabs. In high-school, I was also the Features editor for the school newspaper.